The archaeological remains found in the Ereta del Castellar are from the Bronze Age. In the 1239, it became part of the House of Alagón, who granted it a charter, and in 1303 it was made a subject of Morella, against whom it rebelled. In 1358 it gained independence from Morella, but just 11 years later this privilege was rescinded and it returned to the jurisdiction of Morella. In 1691 it is granted definitive independence from Morella and promoted to the status of Villa Real (Royal Town). During the War of Succession, it embraced the Austrian cause. In the First Carlist War, it sided with Isabella II, and was occupied by Cabrera (1834) and the liberals.
Economy It has a significant textile industry, which employs the majority of the local population, with one of the most modern hosiery factories in Europe. The wood industry is also prominent.
What to see Don't miss the parish church, the San Roque hermitage, the hermitage of Sant Bárbara, the Town Hall and the Bullring. Outside the town centre, we find La Pobla del Bellestar and the Virgen del Llosar hermitage.
Landscape The municipality spans some 93.69 km2 and is bordered on the north by Portell, Castellfort and Ares; on the east by Benassal; on the south by Vistabella, and on the west by Mosqueruela and Iglesuela del Cid. The climate features long, harsh winters and limited precipitation, much of which is snow. Spring is short, cool and wet. Summers are mild and pleasant, while autumns are wet. It rises 1125 metres above sea level.