Argelita was, at the time of the Reconquista, a tower that belonged to Ferdinand, son of Abu-Ceyt Ceyt, the King of Valencia who was dethroned by his rival Zahen, lord of the place in the 13th century. But we find mentions of the site as far back as the Greek writer Strabo, in his book IV, and the Roman geographer Rufo Festo Avienus, in his poem Ora Marina. After the Reconquista the town was inhabited by Moors and it became part of the Crown in 1491. After the expulsion of the Moors (1609), the town was left almost totally deserted. Don Pedro Escribá y Zapata, Lord of Argelita, granted the Town Charter on the 23rd of February 1611. The Barony of Argelita belonged to the Marquis of Monistrol within the governorate of Morella, before passing into the control of the province of Castellón.