The Town Charter was granted by Hug de Fullalquer in the year 1234 to Pere de Balaguer and Bernat de Puig, ordering the settlement of Càlig. In 1550, it was designated a Villa ("town"), and annexed and settled according to the Els Costums de Lleida.
Medio Social The population is predominantly employed in agriculture and livestock farming, and much of the land has only recently emerged for its current use, the cultivation of oranges.
What to seeParish Church, the Virgen del Socorro hermitage, the Santísima Trinidad convent, the Virgen de los Desamparados chapel, the Torre and the Paraje de la Virgen del Socorro natural area.
LandscapeThe district is made up of occasionally steep hills and sparse open plains that are exposed to the cold north wind emanating from Aragon. Its climate features mild winters and hot summers and it has an altitude of 123 m above sea level.