The most ancient remains of the settlement of Vilafamés are the remains of an homo neanderthalensis who lived between 120,000 and 80,000 years BC. Somewhat more recent are the vestiges of the Final Upper Magdalenian Period (13,000 - 12,000 BC) found at the Matutano Cave, inside the town, and in several Iberian settlements that dot the Plana de Vilafamés area. The village was founded by the Arabs and conquered by James I in 1233. The Town Charter was confirmed in 1242. Throughout history, the town belonged to the religious order of Sant Joan de l'Hospital until 1319, when it passed to the order of Montesa. In the Carlist Wars, the castle was severely damaged and subsequently restored.
Industrial park mainly devoted to the manufacturing of tiles. Livestock, especially birds and sheep; three livestock farming for fighting bulls. Tourists resources based on the hospitality sector. Rainfed agriculture: olive groves, almond groves, vineyards. Irrigation agriculture on plains: vegetable fields, fruit orchards.
Route across town
It is possible to make a route of the old town starting at Plaza de la Fuente, which will lead us up the Roca Grossa and, from this point, along the paved Calle Cervantes and Calle de la Iglesia, that leads to the church. From there, the route continues to Plaza de la Sangre where the church of the same name may be admired. Just in front stands the old Casa de la Villa, originally built in the Middle Ages. From this same square, the route goes on to the Quartijo, where the oldest buildings in town may be found, as well as the stairway that leads to the castle built by the Arabs. Then the route goes down Pilar Street and Diputación Street, where pretty houses may be admired, until reaching the Contemporary Art Museum in the Palacio del Batllé. The Town Hall, located in an old manor house, stands not far from this point.
The village is surrounded by typical Mediterranean landscape. The main geographical features are the Mollet mountain (an important reserve in terms of flora and fauna) and the Morral. The Rambla de la Viuda wadi crosses the town, which is located at a height of 390 m over the sea level.