Villahermosa del Río

Villahermosa del Río

Villahermosa once belonged to Abu Zeit Zeit, who granted its charter to a group of Christians in 1234. It then passed into the hands of the Lordship of Arenòs. John II of Aragón made it the head of the Duchy of Villahermosa, having been the setting for a number of rebellions by Juan de Villahermosa and his descendants, throughout the 15th century.The castle and the rest of the village were destroyed in the War of Succession of 1707. During the Carlist Wars in the 19th century, it served as the Carlists' headquarters, housing what was probably the first printing press in the whole of Castellón.


The main industries are: Livestock-agriculture, construction, basketry, jobs in the leather industry, natural cosmetics and handicrafts. 

What to see

It is located in the foothills of the hill, with steep, white streets open to the landscape. Be sure to visit the Plaza de la Iglesia (church square), the Plaza de José Antonio (where the Town Hall stands), the Cura arch, and walk down to the river Carbo.


Located at the foot of the northwestern slope of the Penyagolosa peak, the nearest town is Sant Joan de Penyagolosa itself. It is the starting point for numerous paths, trails and tracks that weave their way across the mountain range, forming a perfect network that provides easy access to the many farm houses and to each and every inch of this wonderful district. It has an elevation of 730 metres.