The Order of Calatrava Castle

Declared a Site of Cultural Interest - Bejís

Ruins of Roman origin, adapted by the Muslims and Christians. Only silos, water tanks and remains of the wall are conserved. Built on a hill forded by two rivers and a natural cut along the south and west.

It was built with ashlar in the corners, masonry and mortar.  The stones are arranged differently, perhaps depending on the date of construction. The wall was covered in 1580 with slabs of rodeno stone, mostly using lime and stone. The door was on the north side and to the left of the entrance is the coat of arms stone.  Once inside, there was a large courtyard and, to the back, a built structure.

A second courtyard had horse stalls, a smithy and storage areas and is where what is known as “the cistern” can now be seen. A third door led to another courtyard with access to the main area or fortress where there was a high tower and noble areas in another wider tower, which is where the dark cave is found today. Nine stairs connected the patrol path to the courtyards. This road bordered the outer wall, which was higher and fortified on the side towards the village. The inner rooms feature half barrel vaulting and a hallway next to the dark cave has a flat maritime pine roof.

At the time of its splendour, the castle’s main wooden doors were covered with sheets of iron. Now, hollow chambers are hidden below the ruins.

Very close to the town centre.


More information

Very close to the town centre.